Ornamental plants and flowers can spice up the look of your outdoor space. But you need to groom them more often to get the most beauty and style. Well, this can be a tedious task, especially when you don’t have the right tool for the job. A hedge shear is one tool that makes a significant difference. For the most part, it gives you endless possibilities to create fresh decorations or just the occasional trim. However, with a wide range of designs and sizes, choosing the best hedge shears can be a daunting task.
There are important considerations when purchasing hedge shears. From size, cutting mechanism, to the quality of the cutting blades, there is a ton of things to keep in mind. Therefore, to help you make the right decision, we provide a detailed review of the top hedge shears that offer the most hedging ability, durability, and ease-of-use. Take a few minutes of your time to browse through.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Hedge Shears Reviews
- 10. Gonicc Professional Long Handled Grass Hedge Shears
- 9. Gnome Garden Hedge Shears & Clippers Trimmers Pruners
- 8. TABOR TOOLS Manual Gardening Shears for Trimming Borders
- 7. Fiskars Power Lever Hedge Shears With Soft Grip Handle
- 6. Jardineer Professional Ergonomic Handle Hedge Clippers & Hand Pruners
- 5. Corona HS 3950 Extendable Hedge Shear
- 4. ARS HS-KR1000 Professional Hedge Shears
- 3. FLORA GUARD Professional Extensible Hedge Shears
- 2. Gilmour Basic Pruning Shears for Garden
- 1. Corona HS3244 ComfortGEL Hedge Shear & Gardening Scissors
Table of the Best Hedge Shears Reviews
10. Gonicc Professional Long Handled Grass Hedge Shears
Gonicc provides the best fit for professional use. To begin with, it has SK-5 carbon steel blades. Well, these are ultra-strong blades that stay sharper and last longer. Also, the steel blades are straight. Therefore, unlike curved blades, it doesn’t need a professional to sharpen. The shear has a closed length of 33 inches. Nonetheless, it can extend to as much as 46 inches. So, it’s easy to reach any shrub, both far and high. Again, it has shock bumpers that minimize strain as you trim and cut. And should you choose, you can adjust the pressure between the blades to enable you to prune different types of plants.
- High-quality SK-5 carbon blades
- Straight blade design for easy sharpening
- Adjustable blade pressure
- Shock guard bumpers for extended use
- Durable aluminium alloy handles are adjustable from 33 to 46 inches
9. Gnome Garden Hedge Shears & Clippers Trimmers Pruners
Gnome is a premium quality shear. It has high-end carbon steel blades. As if that is not enough, the steel blades are made even better with heat treatment. This adds more years to its unmatched cutting performance. Also, the blades are curved. As a result, they provide a better grip when pruning branches. While it lacks a telescopic handle, the 25-inch length is enough to trim most shrubs and bushes.
- Curved blades provide a non-slip grip
- The blades are heat-treated for a longer lifespan
- Ergonomic rubber handles offer outstanding comfort
- Vibration-free bumpers give a better all-around performance
8. TABOR TOOLS Manual Gardening Shears for Trimming Borders
While it’s not one of the largest shear manufacturers out there, Tabor has quite a diverse range of hedge shears. This particular model has found favour in the eyes of most users. For the most part, it gives narrow-blade precision for box hedging and border trimming. Also, the blades are curved to make easy work of plant sculpting. Besides, the wavy steel blades do an excellent job of gripping and ripping. At 25 inches, the handle is about average length. Still, it provides easy reach on short shrubs and bushes.
- Sharp wavy blades provide precision cuts for hedge sculpture
- High-strength steel handles
- Adjustable blade tension
- Shock bumpers reduce shoulder and arm fatigue
7. Fiskars Power Lever Hedge Shears With Soft Grip Handle
Thanks to the power-lever technology, this hedge shear gives up to two times the cutting power of most models out there. Another unique feature is the serrated blades. Not only do they provide better grip, but also deliver clean, precision cuts. And the best part, the blades self-sharpen during use. Also, the blades are 8 inches. That makes them long enough to cut through difficult bushes and shrubs. Again, the steel handles come with rubber bumpers that keep vibrations to a minimum.
- Power-lever system doubles the cutting power
- Serrated gator-blade offers better grip
- The steel blades self-sharpen during use
- Durable steel handles
6. Jardineer Professional Ergonomic Handle Hedge Clippers & Hand Pruners
This is a perfect set for giving your garden a refreshing look. It includes a 24-inch bush trimmer and 8-inch pruning shears. Both have sharp and wavy blades. So, there’s zero chance that anything will slip away from their grip. What is more, you can adjust the tension of the blades to accommodate different cutting needs. Another remarkable feature is the non-stick coating. It allows for a smooth, friction-less cut, even on bushes that have sticky sap.
- 2-piece set includes a bush trimmer and pruning shears
- Durable forged steel blades
- Vice-grip wavy blade design
- Anti-stick coating
- Safety lock for safe storage
5. Corona HS 3950 Extendable Hedge Shear
Corona is at the forefront in designing superior hedge shears. Among its renown products is HS 3950. This hedge shear has forged steel blades. Hence, it offers an ideal balance of strength, comfort, and versatility. The patented blade, together with a precision pivot allow for smooth, effortless cuts. The handles, on the other hand, are pretty lightweight to minimize arm fatigue. Besides, you can extend from 15 to 26 inches to meet different cutting needs.
- Fully-treated 8.5-inch forged steel blades
- Notched lower blade improves cutting performance on larger branches
- Easy-to-sharpen straight blades
- Lightweight telescopic handles (15 to 26 inches)
4. ARS HS-KR1000 Professional Hedge Shears
ARS is a professional hedge shear that makes pruning a whole lot more fun. Weight counts when it comes to hedge shears. ARS considers this by making this shear super lightweight. As a matter of fact, it weighs only 1.7 pounds. As a result, you’ll experience less arm and shoulder fatigue. Apart from that, the shears use super-sharp scissor-action carbon steel blades. Not to mention, the blades are heat-treated to increase impact resistance. A hard chrome plating, on the other hand, makes the blades non-stick and rustproof. Blade adjustments are made with a simple twist of the pivot bolt.
- Replaceable high carbon steel blades
- Chrome plating allows for smooth, non-stick cuts
- Super lightweight construction (1.7 pounds)
- Pivot bolts for easy blade adjustment
3. FLORA GUARD Professional Extensible Hedge Shears
There’s no cut you can’t make with this professional hedge shear. The extendable handles, in particular, allow you to reach far and high branches. In lock position, it’s 26 inches. But should you choose, you can extend it to 34 inches long. At 9 inches, the wavy blades are longer for big jobs, including cutting back extensive hedges. Also, the curved blade design offers better grip as well as precision cuts. The handles have shock bumpers that keep vibrations to a minimum. Overall, this is a dependable hedge shear that strikes a perfect balance of comfort and power.
- Longer 9-inch blades can handle big jobs
- Telescopic handle (26 to 34 inches)
- Sharp and wavy forged steel blades
- Vibration-resistant shock bumpers
2. Gilmour Basic Pruning Shears for Garden
You don’t have to shell out a lot of money for a hedge shear. This particular model is clear proof. So, if you’re looking for an affordable and dependable hedge shear, this will make an excellent choice. It uses 8-inch hardened steel blades. Hence, this is one hedge shear that is going to last for a long while. The top blade has a serration at the lower part. Thus, heavier branches are less likely to slip off its grip. Also, the lower blade is notched to accommodate larger branches. Keep in mind; these are straight blades. As a result, you can easily sharpen them. The aluminium handles drastically reduces the weight of these shears. At 1.9 pounds, it’s as light as it can get. Together with round cushion grips, the handles provide ergonomic handling.
- 8-inch non-stick hardened steel blades
- Serration gives better grip on heavier branches
- Notched design accommodates larger branches
- Shock-absorbing bumpers
- Lightweight construction (1.9 pounds)
1. Corona HS3244 ComfortGEL Hedge Shear & Gardening Scissors
Corona HS 3244 is among the best options dense hedges and tougher shrubs. So, if you’re looking for heavy-duty hedge shears, this one will make a perfect choice. Though heftier than other hedge shears, it turns out to be one of the strongest. The blades are 9 inches long. For this reason, it can easily handle big jobs. Furthermore, the top blade has a limb notch. This allows it to cut thicker branches up to 3/8 inches. Also, the blades are made of carbon steel to provide lasting durability. Trapezoid handles provide an ergonomic grip for ultimate control and comfort. Unlike most hedge shears that use a pair of rubber bumpers, HS 3244 uses a unique cushioning system. It reduces muscle strain and fatigue and makes it easier to cut larger branches.
- ComfortGEL grip handles are easy and comfortable to hold
- Non-stick steel blades maintain sharpness for longer
- 3/8-inch limb notch improves cutting performance
- Shock-guard bumper system minimized muscle strain and fatigue
- High-strength trapezoidal steel handles