The numbers of commercial and private vehicles have been on the rise gradually and it is very evident that the numbers will keep on rising. New brands and manufacturers are coming into the business and designing newer models of vehicles every day. A good trailer is very popular for multiple reasons and primarily because of their heavy-duty applications. The commercial aspect they serve to the society is much but the handling of these trailers is a difficult task. As these are big sized vehicles that are often loaded with weights, the inertia produced by them is quite large too. In order to improve the overall safety of these on the roads, you should ideally install the electric trailer brake controllers. These intelligent devices understand, calculate and finally send a signal on how the brakes should work in different situations.
For your safety, we bring the best electric trailer brake controller. Check them out and see how it can benefit and secure your rides when you are travelling on your heavy-duty trailer
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Electric Trailer Brake Controllers Reviews
- 10. Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
- 9. Reese Towpower 8508211 Control Proportional Brake-EVN
- 8. Tekonsha 90160 Primus Electronic Brake Control
- 7. Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
- 6. Draw-Tite 5535 Electric Trailer Brake Controllers
- 5. CURT 51110 Venturer Trailer Brake Controller
- 4. CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth
- 3. CURT 51140 TriFlex Professional Electric Trailer Brake Controllers
- 2. Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
- 1. Hayes 81741B Energize III Brake Controller
Table of the Best Electric Trailer Brake Controllers Reviews
10. Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
Tekonsha has always delivered great masterpieces when it comes to trailer brake controllers. And this one from the brand has the same reliability and great engineering behind it. The Tekonsha digital electric trailer brake controller’s LCD display is easy to read. It even has the option to adjust the colour of the display. Moreover, it has support for three languages, including English, Spanish and French. So it is used by most all over North America.
The display will show you all the necessary information that includes a battery, output voltage, and current. Plus, even system alerts during dire situations. You can also switch between different types of braking from hydraulic to electric and even manual override when necessary. It also ships with a mounting clip that allows you to remove or attach the controller whenever necessary.
- Advanced enough to control a total of 4 braking axles or less.
- Has a compact design that doesn’t interfere with the dash space of your vehicle.
- When the trailer isn’t connected pressing anything other than the Menu button will show a warning for the same.
9. Reese Towpower 8508211 Control Proportional Brake-EVN
Reese has designed the Towpower brake controller with advanced engineering. As a result, you can achieve proportional braking by matching brake pressure with the deceleration rate of the vehicle. Compared to brake controls that operate on time intervals, this system is much better. When you are towing a really heavy trailer, traditional time braking can easily fail.
This electric brake controller has a boost feature which applies more power at initial braking for heavy load. Due to the proportional braking achieved by this controller, your vehicle brakes may suffer through less wear. Finally, it will last you for a longer time.
- With the correct harness, it can control around 4 brake axles.
- The electric trailer brake controller’s installation is really simple due to the plug and plays design.
- You can purchase this controller without any worries since it is covered by a warranty period of 3 years.
8. Tekonsha 90160 Primus Electronic Brake Control
Tekonsha is a famous name in the trailer brake controller market and for all the right reasons. This model is one of its premier solutions for braking while you are towing a heavy or a light trailer. Due to the compact electric trailer brake controller design, it sits snug by the dash. And that also without affecting your driving in any adverse way. It also comes with a mounting clip that allows you to snap in the controller whenever you want. As a matter of fact, remove the controller when you don’t.
No, need to worry about the installation hardware either. It comes with the controller. But the best feature about this controller is the limited lifetime warranty period. Well, it beats most other competing manufacturers by a significant margin.
- You can adjust the voltage and other things with the rotating dial.
- The self-diagnostic electric trailer brake controller allows you to troubleshoot any problems quickly.
- Is certainly used with 2-plug adapters for convenience.
7. Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control
The 9030 Voyager from Tekonsha is one of the best and economical trailer brake control and offers great value for money. It is hooked up to trailer brake systems with 4 axles or less. Plus, gives you seamless proportional braking power with your vehicle. It doesn’t matter if you are going uphill or down, the controller works flawlessly to make your ride ultra-smooth.
Moreover, you get a snap-in dash mounting clip for easy installation. You don’t need to have any worries either since it has been covered by a 60 month warranty period.
- False braking is negligible since it is taken care of advanced electronics.
- It has a wide range of control which makes setups quick.
- The electric trailer brake controller’s LED indicator will change colour with respect to braking power applied.
6. Draw-Tite 5535 Electric Trailer Brake Controllers
One of the greatest advantages of this controller from Draw-Tite is its proportional braking system. It can detect the change in the acceleration of your vehicle. Therefore, applies brakes on the trailer accordingly to sync up the process. This gives you a rich and smooth braking experience. The trailer might even feel like a part of your own vehicle.
Road conditions may be unforgiving and heavy trailers need more power for braking. With the integrated boost feature, you can get that extra brake power initially for tackling those situations.
- Comes with the necessary mounting hardware, bracket and detailed instruction for installation.
- Isn’t bulky at all and weighs less than a pound.
- Has electric trailer brake controller buttons for easily controlling boost and gain.
5. CURT 51110 Venturer Trailer Brake Controller
The Venture Electric Brake Controller provides you with reliable and safe braking at an affordable price. As you press the brake pedal of your vehicle, the controller applies proportional brake power for the trailer. As a result, both the trailer and vehicle come to a smooth halt. You can also monitor the applied brake power on the LED display of the controller. It uses LED lights instead of numbers. So, even if you wear glasses, you can easily monitor the applied power with the increasing LED light indicators.
One of the greatest hassles of a trailer brake controller is that most require levelling which can eat away at your precious time. This one of the other hand doesn’t require any levelling and doesn’t use any moving internal parts either. So, you don’t need to worry about anything.
- Has a brake slider that lets you take manual control when necessary.
- It can control braking of trailers which have anything between 1 to 3 brake axles.
- High compatibility with ABS and even cruise control.
4. CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth
Yet another great trailer brake controller from Curt with loads of smart features and functionality. The greatest advantage of this controller is its ease of installation. You can transfer this between vehicles with minimal time and effort. Just plug it inside a 7-way connector and its Bluetooth connectivity makes a wireless connection to iPhone or Android smartphone.
Even if the connection to your smartphone is lost, the controller would function normally. You can get all the information on your phone’s big display rather than small displays of outdated and ugly controllers.
- With the app, you can even store multiple trailer profiles.
- Doesn’t require any tools for installation.
3. CURT 51140 TriFlex Professional Electric Trailer Brake Controllers
One of the most unique features about this trailer brake controller is that it features a triple-axis accelerometer. This circuit equips this device with intelligent detection capabilities for motion on all three planes. So, it enables the device to deliver brake power better suited to real-time conditions. No need to worry whether you are climbing uphill or going down an incline, TriFlex will offer responsive braking for a smooth and safe experience. You can also customize the controller according to your requirements.
No matter the vehicle you are driving or a load of the trailer, you can select the perfect power output. And toggle the sensitivity between 9 different levels. If you want, you can take manual control any time you want. Unlike other controllers, the design of this one is really subtle. It complements your dash rather than sticking out like the ugliest piece of artificial creation.
- The digital display will show you adjustments to power with an incremental value of 0.1.
- Features auto-calibration and auto-levelling, taking out a chunk of your work.
- If your trailer has brake axles that are limited to 4, this versatile controller is equipped to control them all.
2. Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
Another fabulous product from Tekonsha to give you excellent braking control for your trailer. This brake controller is indeed electric. Therefore, hits the trailer brake at the same time you hit your vehicle’s brake pedal with proportional force. The best thing about this controller is that it works even when you are backing up the trailer in reverse gear.
You will get minimal jolts and shocks due to the vehicle and trailer being out of synchronization. This means that your brakes would suffer less damage over time.
- Is certainly mounted in various ways without any issues.
- The lifetime warranty will help to maintain faith in the results.
- The self-diagnostics feature runs continuously to keep you updated all the time.
1. Hayes 81741B Energize III Brake Controller
Energize III is a revolutionary and disruptive product for the towing industry since it has multiple features. Therefore, will completely change your braking and by extension your driving experience with a trailer. This controller has a sensing device which is patented and can accurately measure the deceleration of your vehicle. So, it is able to deliver the same for the trailer brakes and make your vehicle and trailer stop smoothly in sync.
Moreover, the controller works instantly and is highly sensitive to changes in the pressure applied at the brake pedals. Thus, it reacts quickly and efficiently.
- Spotlights are activated automatically when trailer brakes or manual lever is applied.
- Features a red LED indicator that notifies you about brake intensity and even short-circuiting.
Now security is just at your hands. The heavy-duty electric trailer brake controller will aid in smoothest braking operation.